Monday, December 04, 2006

What's in a name??

I wanted to blog about how Ellery became Ellery - it'll definately be the journaling for a layout in the not-so-distant future....so I figured other people (i.e. the 2 people who read the blog) might be interested.

The summer before I got pregnant John and I went to a Gaelic Storm concert. They are an awesome band . . all guys except for their fiddle player - she's a girl :)

They introduced the entire band and her name is Ellery - I just loved it. I even said to Kerrin "I love that name". There were other names I loved more and at that time I wasn't even really thinking about getting pregnant. . so why worry about it right??

Fast forward about 9 months or so and John and I are talking about going off of birth control and trying to get pregnant. Then I start thinking more and more about names. We can't agree on ANY girls names - my list included Addison, Avery, Kennedy, Reagan. . .on and on and on. . . every name I liked John had a reason NOT to like. . . and no alternative suggestions (save Cassandra - and no offense to anyone who does like this name. . I HATE it!!!). Onto the back burner girls names went - we settled on 2 boys names we liked: Aidan and Gavin.

SO - the 2 lines show up on the test and immediately the names discussion picks up again in earnest. Of course. . we didn't know what we were having but I feel it necessary to be prepared. I brought up Ellery and John didn't hate it. . but definately didn't love it either. I set out to talk him into it :) See, I've always been into very "unique" names and John was very concious of not naming our baby something "odd" (he's JoHnathan - so he's always spelling his name ROFL). Ellery seemed "okay" to him.

One night we were out to dinner "arguing" about it (as usual) and John said "FINE - you can have Ellery if I can have Gavin". We shook on it and from that night on we had a little Gavin or Ellery flavored jellybean :)

Of course - you know the rest of the story. . she's an Ellery - so I won :) John's hoping the next one is Gavin flavored :) ROFL

NOW. . .

I'm apparently saddling my child (my girl baby) with a boy's name. Every single baby name site has a different meaning for her name. . but most agree that it's a boys name

Here's a sampling of different meanings etc.:

Ellery:

German- one who lives near the elder tree,

English - dominant


Tuetonic: From the Elder tree

Cornish: A Swan

but I think I'll be going with this one :)

The boy's name Ellery is pronounced EL-er-ee. It is of Latin and Old English origin, and its meaning is "alder tree." May be related to Hilary, (Latin) "joyful, happy." Familiar since the 1930s due to the fictional detective Ellery Queen.

4 Comments:

Blogger ~Mel said...

I've been searching for this entry for a while! My mom has asked the meaning of Ellery and if it was a name you created or where it came from...
Alas I did not have the answer until now! Thanks!

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if it makes you feel better, Kelly is a boy's name and I turned out okay, as did hundreds of thousands of other girls that are also named Kelly.

I like Ellery a lot, and I don't think it sounds like a boy's name at all... it reminds me of Hillary and Mallory. Ellery also has a lots of nice nickname options :)

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi...Mel's Mom here. Just wanted to let you know that I really like the name Ellery. I don't think it sounds at all masculine.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well....my 1st baby is Kellyn....and since she was born, the only other "Kellyn's" have been boys, but they spell it differently. If you can believe it, there are 4 of them in my church....mine being the only girl! Everybody who hears it gets it wrong (most say Helen?) and she hates that....but when they realize what it is...they also love it.
And growing up, I could never find stuff with maureen on it....but still named my child Kellyn ;)
I love the name Ellery and I am excited to see her pics when she is born! So happy for you Amanda :)

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home