Saturday, January 27, 2007

Difficulties....it's hard to admit



My mom raised me to be an independant person......and I am. This week I've learned that I'm independant to a fault.

I've had a really really hard week. Full of emotions, and frustration and tears and screaming. It hasn't been fun. In fact, it's been downright scary.

I resisted having my mom stay with us when the baby came home - I was going to do it on my own (okay me and John). Things were okay for a little while, then the inevitable happened. Ellery started getting fussier and fussier and I was getting more and more anxious.

I started to wonder if John and I had made a mistake, I was convinced I was a horrible mother especially when I was wondering if I even loved this little being who was so dependant on me for EVERYTHING and was sucking the life out of me. After I wondered that I found myself mired in guilt FOR feeling like that :( it's a vicious cycle

Needless to say I had a "breakdown". I use the quotes because it's clearly not a full fledged nervous breakdown but it was enough to make me stop and say "I need help. I am not myself right now, although I know that hormones and things are in play, it's still MORE than that". So after some soul searching and conversations with various friends and family I went to the doctor's yesterday. He told me that I was normal and that everything I was feeling was okay. The medical assistant told me how proud they were of me for calling and coming in . . since not everyone does. That made me feel better. I left with 2 prescriptions and some hope. Hope that things will get better. . hope that I *can* do this.......hope.....it's a powerful thing. .maybe even more powerful than what I was feeling before.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww Amanda! i know I'm not a mom yet, but I must tell you, it WILL be okay! :) You are a great mom, I'm 100% certain! I know it must be overwhelming tho, huh?! I'm just so glad that you are feeling better & talked to the doctor about it-good for you! Wishing you all the best! In the meantime, we need more photos, girl!! hehe! :) have a good weekend!

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are a great mom, and ellery is lucky to have you and John as parents!

11:30 PM  
Blogger jane said...

Amanda,

I am thinking about you and your family. I am sure you are a great mom and it will get easier. It takes a lot of strength to admit that you need help and you already did that. That is awesome!!

jane

2:08 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

So sorry to hear you are going through all of that. But I'm proud of you for having the strength to admit that something wasn't right. Many people wouldn't admit that, and that's when the problems start.
I hope everything gets better soon!

6:38 AM  
Blogger ~Mel said...

Amanda, I admire your courage and strength for going to talk to someone. I'm sure that was just a piece of the difficult week you had but I'm sure the fact that you spoke to someone as soon as you did, will only help alleviate things for you.

Anytime you want to vent or chat - you know how to reach me! Hang in there!

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home